Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How Good Do You Look?


How Good Do You Look?

As we examine ourselves daily, we have to look at who we are and how we appear to GOD. Are we spiritually and physically attractive to HIM?  Do we please HIM?  Often times the world places MUCH emphasis on physical attraction and we cater to this specific mindset.  The first thing we see in the opposite gender is the attractiveness if we are in pursuit of that, but someone’s face is not an accurate representation of their heart.  What if we all physically looked like the righteousness or evilness that we carry? What if our physical beauty can change many times depending upon how many bad things we have in our heart?  Would we be beautiful every second of the day? Would you only be beautiful on Sunday morning at church but ugly every other day of the week?  Would your beauty die while the sun goes down or during the weekends? Will you lose your attractiveness as soon as something doesn’t go your way?  Ask yourself now……..HOW GOOD DO I REALLY LOOK

Contrary to popular belief, GOD identifies your attractiveness by the fruits you carry: Love, joy, peace, forbearance, KINDNESS, GENTLENESS, and SELF-CONTROL.  All of these traits cannot be identified by what we see on the outside.  Just because someone is smiling doesn’t mean that they have peace or joy.  Just because you SEE someone act calm and peaceful doesn’t mean that they have self-control.  These things have to be in your heart, not your face.  What does your heart say to GOD about the fruits that you carry?   Matthew 5:8 says “Blessed are those who are pure in HEART, for they shall see GOD.” It does not say Blessed are those that look good, for they shall see GOD.”   It’s great to have confidence in your external and internal beauty because GOD made you wonderfully, but the extent of your beauty is the extent of the goodness in your heart.  GOD did not bless you with physical attraction to give you a free pass to be rude or arrogant.  Internal darkness cannot hide behind physical beauty.  Let’s change our mindset and focus on the heart of the people and watch the change start to happen! 

Scriptures to focus on:

Galatians 5: 22-23

1Peter 3:4

John 13:35

Prayer:

LORD, thank You for your mercy and grace in spite of the many ways that I am not like You.  Help me see beauty as You do. Renew my mind and my heart and create a steadfast spirit in me.  Help me become more like You daily inside and outside.  Destroy the yokes of worldly thoughts on my life and let Your righteousness be my vision as I choose to seek You more every day.  I pray for everyone around me and may I be a vessel that helps them see You better.  In JESUS’ name…..AMEN!

14 comments:

  1. Great article ... I often discuss these types of matters with my friends all the time. A lot of ppl do seek the world to validate their appearance, lifestyle, themselves period but at the end of the day it's only God's opinion that matters ... I think you said that already lol i'm just reiterating & agreeing :).

    I would have responded on Twitter but I much prefer when ppl write on my blog so I figured I'd do the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Thanks for reading . I appreciate that. You're absolutely right and we should discuss it more in a consistent basis. We have to help each other and hold each other accountable for higher standards of excellence

      Delete
  2. Well put my brother! I really appreciate your candidness and ability to keep it real. It's easy to get caught up on who looks good, or fits the description of a "Righteous Person" but that doesn't mean they are. I hope this message reaches all the right people, it's definitely got me re-evaluating myself! #ThankGodForTheBlood!! #RealTalk ~Jay Dee~

    ReplyDelete
  3. JD, wow thats deep man. It's always good to do self-examination but never forget to give yourself due credit as well. I used to examine myself and the enemy was making me think that I was a horrible person and I wasn't offering GOD any value. But that's because I wasn't hearing GOD and I wasn't giving myself credit. But I still do a self check daily to see where I can improve. Great reply JD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bro. I can honestly saw that I heard your heart in the midst of your writing. It's funny how we often allow the world's standard of beauty to distort the true meaning of the word "beautiful". In God's eye, I believe beauty is how He would describe the cry of heart longing to please Him...That is beautiful....
    "Beauty is an internal attribute that extends to an external view." ~NITASCIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! If your heart is longing to please GOD, people will see it and will be drawn to it. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate that

      Delete
  5. This article hit so close to home for me... being beautiful inside out---- it's an everyday struggle for me!! Thank you for your sincerity in writing this Mike... Job well done as always! Continue to use your gifts for HIS glory!! Your Heavenly Father is proud! :-) Blessings from over yonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope it blessed you as much as it blessed me. Thank you for reading

      Delete
  6. Amen! Wow, what an awesome blog& great reminder/wake-up call! Its funny, as I was reading halfway into this blog, I was interupted by a family member. I rudely snapped at them for bothering me. So of course this blog really convicted me lol!! Where were my 'fruits'??! We need to use/pray for fruits of the Spirit, more& more as Christians! How will anyone see our light?!
    I pray this really resignates with me and also pray it reaches others! Btw, I also love how you made scripture refs. and added a prayer at the end..sooo important! Great blog Michael..to God be the Glory! Looking forward to future blogs..God Bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you were into it huh?! Lol. Thanks so much! I recently decided to add scriptures and prayer because it just felt incomplete without them. You pose a good question, "how will anyone see our light?". I really want my light to shine and help others grow. It's a process but we will get there

      Delete
    2. i am blessed and made to think about what i really look and what i wanna look like in His eyes and reflect it also to them around me..... so grateful for helping to kinda get it completely, am all the way in kenya and somehow i found this blog... grateful to Lord Jesus guiding my path

      Delete
    3. Hey, that's awesome. Self reflection is always good. Just don't forget to give yourself credit. Often I remember when I used to do a self-check and I remember it used to make me feel like a "beat up" session because I wasn't where I wanted to be. But GOD quickly would pull me out and tell me I'm not where i used to be. Never forget your great qualities while improving on your opportunities.

      Delete
  7. i've met people who are gorgeous on the outside but they way they treat people is horrible. Look at the heart, everything else changes.

    thanks for the reminder!
    {HUGS} @spreadingJOY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....absolutely. And if we hang around people long enough , their hearts will be revealed.

      Delete