Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Power of FORGIVENESS








Many times in life, people will hurt you intentionally and unintentionally. It’s a guaranteed byproduct of living. We often think that forgiveness is a complete erase of what someone has done to you and that it should not hurt anymore. This cannot be farther from the truth. However, forgiveness is a choice that you make to become more like GOD rather than give in to what the world may deem a valid reason to get even. It’s a decision to love unconditionally in spite of the fact that you have been treated directly opposite. Pride is the direct enemy of forgiveness. It puts certain things in your heart that should not be there because it’s a sense of pride and dignity that makes you superior in your eyes. None of us are exempt from a NORMAL life. There has not been a person that ever lived that has not been hurt or chastised. But, growth out of a hurtful situation cannot come if pride has inhabited your mind. Pride will make itself very familiar to you….here’s a recollection of what pride sounds like: “Do they know who I am? Who do they think they are? They must not know where I’m from?” Sound familiar?

One of the best examples of forgiveness in the Bible is the story of Joseph. He had undeniable favor from his father and his brothers hated him because of it. They despised him so much that they planned to kill him. But, this plan did not come about until Joseph told them about a vision GOD gave him. He was to be given dominion over his family in the future. This is when the brothers hate for him turned from a feeling into an actual plan to destroy. Some people hate you and they internalize it, but when they hear about what GOD is doing for you they will try and plot to hurt you the best way they can. GOD is not in the business of blessing you secretly, he wants EVERYONE to know of His goodness and how He can cater to those who serve Him. So hate from the world is a byproduct of the FAVOR OF GOD. None of us are exempt from hate. GOD made good on His promise and put Joseph in a position of power. This is not the most important part of his story. The fact that the vision was manifested was inevitable, but his brothers that planned to kill him but sold him into slavery were now struggling and their blessing was in the hands of the one that they tried to destroy. Joseph had a heart to forgive because the love He had for GOD would not allow revenge to consume his heart. This made him READY to receive what GOD had for him. Don’t let anyone’s actions against you destroy the preparation stages that are necessary for you to grow. GOD wants to take you to higher places and he wants people to see you blessed. HE wants to FLOW through you but cannot do so if you have BLOCKAGE in your heart. Stop holding yourself back! Forgiveness is not only critical for your growth, but it’s absolutely necessary for the growth of those around you. Is the hurt that you feel more important than the place that GOD wants to take you? Is the choice to hold on to things that people have done to you worth letting go of the things that GOD has stored up for you? Your past will always stay in your present until you decide to let it go!
Recommended/Related Readings:
Genesis 37
Psalms 51:10-12
Proverbs 17:9
Matthews 6:14

18 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated sir :-) Bless you Mike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate the comment. Have an awesome day! GOD bless

      Delete
  2. great point and love how you back it up with Scripture! This is the beginning of a promising blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris. With GODs help, lives will be changed.

      Delete
  3. Thank u for sharing this!! One thing I have learned in my life is the importance of forgiveness, and most people don't realize how critical it is to forgive! So again, thank u for being a willing vessel and posting this! God bless you big bro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trise for sharing . I'm glad you've made the steps necessary for growth in this walk. Have an awesome day.

      Delete
  4. Love it! Giving God priase for how He is using you. Thank you for being obediant and being a willing vessell! I look forward to more of these uplifting and positive blogs. Forgiveness is such a big issue these days, glad you've taken the time to pour into us what God has poured into you. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. thanks Demorise. Im humbled. I appreciate you reading and please keep me in pray as i plan on posting more blogs.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your blog. I appreciate how you paralleled the biblicial story of Joseph to today's necessity to live a life of forgiveness. I also appreciate the scriptural references you've given to your readers so that we can study the subject you've enlightened us on. Keep up the great work for Christ, lil bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate it. With GODs help lives will be changed and we will strenthen the Kingdom

      Delete
  6. Thank u for sharing. Very necessary words in these very critical times. Stay open to the call. The uncomfortable n comfortable part of the process is what prepares us for what's next in our journey. Forgiveness indeed. Pray lives be touched! Author Upshur.

    Demi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demiiiii: thank you so much for reading and responding. You really encourage me all the time. I can't thank you enough.

      Delete
  7. AMEN!!! ITS GOOD TO SEE THAT YOU USED THE STORY OF JOSEPH AS IT RELATES TO THE POINT THAT YOU ARE MAKING!!! THAT WAS A POWERFUL STORY, 1 OF MY FAVORITES IN THE BIBLE!!!"REJECTED BY OTHERS BUT CHOSEN BY GOD!!!" PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF FORGIVENESS!!! KEEP ALLOWING GOD TO USE YOU!!! BE BLESSED!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for reading and responding Jasmin. Joephs story was great bc he chose to forgive when he was in power. Many of us would have been fueled by that and say we don't need anybody else. He embrace his brothers in spite of. You continue to be a blessing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This great Michael! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading more from you!! Continue to let God use you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike this blog has really blessed me beyond words. God led me to your blog at 1:30am one morning I was really going through some serious mental warfare. I had a lot on my mind and I couldn't figure out the root cause of my frustration. I read your blog before, but this time the very last sentence stood out to me and jumped in spirit. "Your past will always stay in your present until you decide to let it go!" That sentence alone instantly cleared up the confusion in my life. I realized that I have been a victim of my past for quite a while now, and I decided that day to "Let it go." I let go of all the hurt, embarrassment, shame, disappointment, and disgust that has held me captive for the past three years. Since doing so, I can already see God moving in a miraculous way. I'd just like to take some time to say Thank You for allowing God to use the way you do. I am so glad you are your own person in God, with your own personality. There isn't too many real Men of God in this world that will proudly stand up and waive the "Blood stained banner" for Jesus. Please continue to post more blogs, and I will continue to read. ~Jay Dee~

    ReplyDelete
  11. JayDee, bless you sir. I appreciate that man and the best part is this is EXACTLY what I was asking GOD to do. To set people free and make the body of CHRIST stronger. I'm glad you decided to let it go. Move on and let GOD move.

    ReplyDelete